Sunday, April 5, 2009

He will Never Leave

This week, an individual told me his sad story of meeting with attorneys to prepare the final documentation to be legally separated from his wife. The tale was such a sad one, a marriage that has lasted longer than my lifetime to date.

This individual described a scenario where he has tired of the circumstances that have led up to this ultimate end. It was sad to hear that even if the spouse regained her senses, the man would not be willing to stop the divorce process.

Christ describes his relationship with those who call Him Savior and Lord as a bride and a bridegroom. His word promises that He will NEVER leave me nor forsake me. As I reflected on the sad story of a marriage coming to an end this week, I am abundantly grateful to be loved by an awesome God, who, despite all of my shortcomings, will never seek to sever my relationship with Him.

In Hebrews, God says:

"Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,

Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.

So we say with confidence,

The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:4-6.

I am amazed that despite my adulterer ways (by continually putting small g "gods" before my one true God), my God promises that He will never leave me. Aren't we so lucky that we have a God who does not tire of our bad behavior, who continues to love us, who continues to pursue us wholeheartedly?

No comments: