Sunday, December 14, 2008

Avoid the Frenzy

Tim and I have been attending the Saturday evening services at Southland for a few months now. It has actually been easier for us than getting out of the house early on Sunday morning, when we are both absolutely wiped out. We missed the service last weekend, since we attended a Progressive Dinner for our Sunday school class. And so, this morning I was able to watch last week's message via the Southland hour.

In celebration and preparation of the Birthday of Jesus, Southland has had a series called "A crazy thing called Love". This morning's message was a reminder to me that in the frenzied rush I experience during this season, the Reason truly comes down to one thing--the Love that the Creator had for His children to provide a son who would die for all sin. For my sin!

This year, Tim and I are trying to buy less and focus more on the Reason. It does seem a little crazy to rack our brains to figure out the perfect gift for those who do not necessarily have a need. Contras that with children in third world countries who live in poverty and injustice. And, children in our own backyards who do not have shoes to cover their feet. So, I am trying not to become caught up in the commercialized notion of a Christmas, and focus on the Reason.

Did you know that $75 will buy a goat to provide dairy for children in countries like Haiti or Kenya? Or, that for as little as $32, a child in Nicaragua could be educated? We recently received a catalogue from an organization called Worldvision. This was like no other catalogue. Instead of enticing photographs of the latest gadgets or designer styles, this catalogue included everyday staples, goats, sheep, cows, education and other materials and supplies for children inpoverished in third world countries. Worldvision is the organization that makes this all happen with the support of its donors. Pretty cool!

I think the following video sums up my thoughts:

No comments: