The steps on the stairs that go to the upper level of our house and all of the bedrooms are narrow. At times, walking up and down them can be quite precarious. Now that I am traversing the steps with the little guy in arm, I am even more aware of the narrow width of the steps and the consequence of even the slightest misstep. My twelve inch stilletos (okay, this might be a slight exaggeration) do not lend themselves to the walking the stairs routine.
Now that Dustin is here, I find myself thinking about all of the stilleto-heel stair walking type of activities that just do not work with an infant. An open cup of hot joe in one hand, baby in the other. Cell phone in the house, car running in the drive way.
An infant, completely dependant upon his parents to do what is best on his behalf. Completely trusting. Completely vulnerable. Lacking in self sufficiency.
When the disciples approached Jesus, asking who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, Jesus responded that unless they become like little children, they will never enter the kingdom of heaven. More, "Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:1-4
Wow! Humbles? Like a child? An infant is completely dependant upon his earthly parent to provide for his every need. I think, like an infant, God too wants us to rely on our heavenly father to provide for our every need. Come to Him. Rely on Him. Trust in Him. Like a child.
It is not about seeking out who is the greatest, rather humbling ourselves such that we forego our own self-sufficiency. Instead, we rely upon our Creator. Forgetting about who might be greatest, but remembering a God that is all encompasing, all knowing and alone worthy. Will I seek Him out to provide for my every need? Will I come to Him like a child?
Even in the stilleto-heel moments, I am realizing that I can learn from my son. May I grow ever humble, forgetting the world's quest for greatness, and rely upon the Maker for my every need.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment