I have been reading through the genealogies in Chronicles. Interestingly, these books list the names of individuals who are responsible for various roles during the time. To be honest, it is very tempting to skip through the list of names to reach the more "meaty" portions of the text.
But, the names do have something to say to me. The roles included gatekeepers, David's warriors, musicians, government officials and many many others. The genealogy reminds me that we are to be trustworthy in the roles that God has assigned us, no matter how large or small. We cannot all be Beth Moores or Max Lucaddo's. But, who knows, I may be the mother of the next equivalent to Billy Graham.
I remember in high school theatre, the drama teacher had a Shakespearean quote on her wall that read, "Act well your part, for there all honor lies". The take-away for me from the lengthy list of names in Chronicles is that I must act well my part, for whatever position that I have comes from God. Hopefully, any success that I achieve during this lifetime will bring Him glory.
Speaking of names, and just for fun, here's a list of all the nicknames that I've found myself calling Dustin:
1. Baby Cakes (this one is the most frequent);
2. Sweetie Pie;
3. Silly Pie;
4. Monkey;
5. Stinky Butte (you know when this one is used);
6. Silly Boy;
7. Baby;
8. Sweet Pea;
9. Little Man; and
10. Crank Pot (this one does not get used much--we are blessed that our Little Man has such a wonderful disposition--most of the time).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Hey I call Katie Monkey and sweat pea too. Monkey is because when she was almost a year she would just hang on me and hold on. I could put her on my hip and let go.
When she was about 3 she started telling us that she doesn't like the name monkey but we rule and it stayed.
Post a Comment